Drove up the turquoise trail today
I've become hooked on podcasting. I'm a big fan of Verge of the Fringe by Lance Anderson. I also listen to Dan Klass's The Bitterest Pill, but not as much.
(NOTE: Tell the story of winning my iPod, buying my first album from iTunes, discovering TBP and VF and my own aspirations to podcasting.)
See, I'm not the performer type, but I feel I have some things I'd like share, mostly out of curiosity to see if other people are on the wave samelength as I am. This Internet is so big, there must be people out there who have a viewpoint similar to my own. That's why I want to do the podcast. I have yet to hear the podcast I'd like to hear and so I figured, why not do it myself? Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed many podcasts. But haven't found one that I groove more than 80% of the time.
Since podcasting is a low-budget endeavor, I'm gonna do this. I'd much rather do visual art, but my life isn't conducive to do that at the moment. So having this stifled urge to be creative, I started looking into podcasting and what's involved in that.
What can I say? My podcast (will be) called Madame Philosophe. I've designed a cool template for madamephilosophe.com for when that part of the project is ready to roll into the picture.
The thought of me podcasting is at once riveting and terrifying. So my first deed to accomplish is to get used to taping myself and feeling OK with that. I'm writing all this down for the future, so I can look back and see where I started from. Which is truly humble beginnings.
A few weeks ago I went and bought a $60 digital recorder the size of a candy bar with the intent to start podcasting. It's taken me this long to actually start recording something, anything. And I'm not even sure I want to publish it at this point. But I think that there are some humorous aspects to this tape. Like the old home movie. Not video, but the home movie, 8 or 16mm where it was an Event to pull the camera out, string up the film and capture all those special family history moments.
There's definitely giving up some control here, since I enjoy my privacy and do not care to become a celebrity. (Got that? just for the record) Now I could just NOT do this and NOT give up anything of myself. But, then, making art is about sharing things about myself, how I think, and I consider doing a podcast as an artistic endeavor.
I'm really intrigued with the storytelling thing. Stories are important to being a healthy human being. It's a way we bond, a way that we are able to learn about things from beyond our scope of influence. Stories help me and I realized that after listening to some podcasts, I'm of an age to begin authoring my own stories and sharing, instead of solely being a listener. I mean I've lived enough life to have some material. I remember not feeling like that when I was in my 20's, that's for certain.
(listening to ATB's Circular Symmetry from the No Silence album. Very groovy. Would like to use this as a backtrack. Am writing the record company in Germany and see if they would let me use it.)
Getting back to today's trip up the Turquoise Trail, I lugged the less-than-one-ounce digital recorder and taped my thoughts about moving to New Mexico. The Peace, the Quiet, and other observations about New Mexico. Like, the sizes of trees. Missing the turn off from Santa Fe to Galisteo. It's scratchy, it's rough, but it's me.
The next step is to download it to the PC so I can transfer it to my mac (since this recorder doesn't do macs -- NOTE: get a mac-friendly digital recorder ASAP.) Then I want to figure out the software. I know Dawn and Drew just use Garage Band to do their mixing. And sound flower. So I'm gonna start looking at that to see where I go with that.
Well that's it for now. Stay tuned and be gentle, it takes courage to be gentle.


2 Comments:
M.P.
Good luck with your new podcast. I think the production notes are a great place to start.
--Lance
MP - Had fun reading this tonight ... can't wait to hear your first podcast!
-Shelly
Post a Comment
<< Home